Sun. Nov 27th, 2022

What could be the final blow of Tyson Fury’s controversial boxing career crashed into Dillian Whyte’s chin, sending him to the canvas and one of his teeth flying through the air.

Fury raised his right hand in celebration, knowing there would be no turning back from a hook that was apparently felt throughout Wembley Stadium. And indeed, there was not.

With a brutal finish in the final seconds of the sixth round, Fury defeated fellow Brit and former training partner Whyte in front of more than 94,000 fans inside England’s national soccer stadium to remain undefeated for the 32nd win in his professional career of 33 fights.

And that, said Fury, 33, could be it.

“This could be the final curtain for the Gypsy King,” Fury said in the ring, his WBC and Ring Magazine belts around his shoulders. “What a way out.”

It hadn’t ended there. Fury, a born artist, gave the largest capacity ever seen for a boxing match in Britain a now-familiar rendition after Don McLean’s “American Pie” bout.

He celebrated with his team and posed for photos with children, wearing the red and white colors of England’s flag on St George’s Day.

Fury was deep in his last moments in a ring after 14 years as a professional. For his last fight more or less he says that he gave a clinic.

After a gripping trilogy with Deontay Wilder in the States, Whyte was a huge step down for Fury, who mostly played his compatriot after sizing him up in a couple of cautious opening rounds.

Fury was in control of the fight without really trying until the fifth round, which he dominated. A body shot and then a right hand rocked Whyte back, causing the crowd to come alive.

In what turned out to be the final round, Whyte was beginning to breathe more heavily and had a cut around his right eye, possibly from a clash of heads.

Whyte, the longtime mandatory challenger, was mostly reckless with some big but wayward shots. He tried to play rough and get inside Fury’s head, while he hoped to land a big hit to make him an overnight superstar.

In the end, it came from Fury’s right hand, which sent Whyte to the ground.

Whyte finally got to his feet and tried to show he was ready to continue, but then stumbled towards the ropes, prompting the referee to end the fight.

Fury called it a “Wembley Stadium Spectacular Show”.

“He is as strong as a bull and has the heart of a lion,” Fury said of Whyte, “but tonight he met a great in the sport, one of the greatest heavyweights of all time.

“I think,” Fury added, “even Lennox Lewis would be proud of that hook.”

If he retires, Fury will go down as Britain’s best heavyweight, surpassing Lewis.

What could still keep him going is the opportunity to be the undisputed champion in what could be a very lucrative fight against Oleksandr Usyk or Anthony Joshua.

Usyk beat Joshua last September to take the WBA, IBF and WBO belts and is preparing for a rematch with Joshua after leaving his native Ukraine, where he was helping his country in the war with Russia.

That’s all Fury would have left to claim among the current crop of heavyweights in an average era for the sport’s marquee division, which would be a quieter place without the 6-foot-9 Briton whose mouth and opinions would make him They have gotten into trouble over the years. .

“I’ve never experienced anything like this before I ruined my walk in the ring!” said Fury, who stepped out in a red and white dress, blowing kisses to the crowd before fireworks lit up Wembley.

He ran to the ring and sat on a throne. He then proved that he was the king of the heavyweights, at least too good for Whyte.

“He didn’t just fight a world champion in this game,” Fury said. “I’m a legend… what a way to finish it off.”

Just to be sure, Fury was asked one last time: Is that really it?

“I definitely think so,” he said.

Read More: ”I’m a legend”: Tyson Fury retains heavyweight belt in final fight